Ossett united 6-0 Thornaby

Ossett united 6-0 Thornaby


Ossett United progressed to the second qualifying round of the FA Cup at the second time of asking, beating Thornaby 6-0 in a replay at Ingfield on Tuesday night with the help of four goals from Tom Greaves.

The game came three days after the first tie, in which Greaves twice gave them the lead but United were pegged back for a 2-2 finish.

Ossett were able to make their extra quality count in the replay though, with Greaves again on hot form. He scored an extraordinary goal in the first half and another three after the break, despite also missing a penalty.

Nick Guest got them up and running with their first goal while Elliott Harrison was also on target against a Thornaby side that finished with 10 men.

United had to reshuffle very early on when forced into a substitution, with Panos Katasamagas replaced by Guest, and the forward clearly had something to prove as he opened the scoring with an overhead kick from a tight angle which flashed past goalkeeper James Danson.

Greaves had a shot from the edge of the box palmed wide by Danson and then fired an Alex McQuade cross into the side netting, although Ossett then had few chances before Greaves’ thunderbolt just before the break.

The striker was five yards from the angle of the box when Harrison knocked the ball down to him, but he took one touch before striking an incredible half-volley over the keeper.

With the comfort of a two-goal advantage, Ossett were free to break loose in the second half and duly did so with two goals in the space of three minutes putting the tie to bed.

Greaves was on target for the first of those, beating Danson one-on-one after getting on the end of a long through ball from Corey Gregory.

Thornaby were then caught napping again as Harrison picked the pocket of a defender and finished into the bottom corner to make it 4-0 with more than half an hour still to play.

Their cause was helped further when the visitors were reduced to 10 men, with Nathan Guru shown a second yellow card after an off-the-ball confrontation.

Aaron Haswell flashed a shot across goal seconds after coming on for his United debut while Ian Ward skied Thornaby’s best chance.

Greaves was desperate for his hat-trick and had the perfect chance to get it when Guest was felled by Jordan Wilson in the box, but Danson did excellently to get down to his right and keep out his penalty.

He finally got the treble when played through one-on-one again with six minutes to go, with time to place his strike past the keeper. Just a minute later he had a fourth, running onto another ball to score his eighth goal in three FA Cup games this season.

Ossett will travel to Colne in the next round of the competition on September 21. In the meantime, they host Ramsbottom United in the league on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) and then go to Pontefract Collieries in the Integro League Cup on Tuesday (kick-off 7.45pm).

Match Highlights

Ossett: Souter, Hampson, Chantler, McQuade, Monkhouse (Boateng 76), Gregory, Ijiwole (Haswell 60), Stockdill, Greaves, Harrison, Katsamagas (Guest 6).

Subs: Porritt, Mott, Guest, Boateng, Haswell.

Goals: Guest (21), Greaves (44, 54, 83, 84), Harrison (56)

Thornaby: Danson, Dougall, Wilson, Bailey, Guru, Drummond (Morrison 66), Scalfe-Wheatley, Green, Murphy (Cooke 46), Ward, Chapman (Hutchinson 72).

Subs: Cooke, Morrison, Hutchinson, Foley, Boblowski.

Man of the Match: Tom Greaves

Attendance: 265

Ossett United is the trading name of Ossett United Limited, a Private Limited Company guaranteed by shares. It is registered at Companies House. Company number 11162425. No shareholder has significant control.