Ossett United 0-1 Marine FC

Ossett United 0-1 Marine FC


A fortuitous late goal saw Marine claim all three points against Ossett United at Ingfield.

With 14 minutes left to play on an extremely blustery afternoon, Mark Howarth’s left-footed free-kick from out wide was missed by skipper James Knowles and evaded goalkeeper Brett Souter to go all the way into the net.

Having competed so well against one of teams chasing promotion from the division, the result was a hard one for manager Wayne Benn to take.

He said: “It feels like a real kick in the teeth (against) a team who are right up there, when you couldn’t tell who was where in the league.

“I don’t think either keeper has had saves to make, it’s been a game of very few chances, spoilt obviously by the wind. The conditions were tough for both teams.

“I just think it was a really good, honest performance from us, and I’m sick for the boys that yet again we’ve come away with no points. It definitely should have been a 0-0 draw.

“I think we can take credit and heart from the performance and I think if we can compete against the top sides like we have today, I’m sure we’ll pick some points up against those teams.”

Ossett, who had Nathan Newall making his debut for the club at left-back on a one-month loan deal from Guiseley, had the wind in their backs in the first half but chances were few and far between.

Marko Basic saw his effort and the follow-up blocked by last-ditch challenges as they looked to make a breakthrough, and goalkeeper Dan Atherton saved well from Luke Porritt.

Marine came the closest to a goal straight after that save as Neil Kengei struck the post from a tight angle, but United went into the break disappointed as Tom Greaves was given a fantastic opportunity to score with Basic’s cross but could only head over.

Atherton was called into action early in the second half, first to deny a Greaves header and then to just about keep out Nick Guest’s strike having initially spilled.

The away side took advantage of the elements now blowing in their favour to keep play largely in the Ossett half. They hadn’t looked like scoring until luck was on their side with Howarth’s free-kick sneaking in, but once the game had taken that decisive turn there was no comeback.

 Post Match Interview:


Ossett: Souter, Egan, Newall, Stockdill, Knowles, McManus, Guest, Gregory (Harrison 79), Greaves, Basic, Porritt (Haswell 79).

Subs: Harrison, Haswell, Maltby, Hardaker, Cogill.

Marine: Atherton, Davies, Joyce, Joyce, Howarth, Miley, Shaw, Lussey, Irwin, Cummins (Hassall 78), Kengni (Ellison 88), Barrigan (Yonsian 69).

Subs: Ellison, Mendes, Devine, Yonsian, Hassall.

Goals: Howarth (76)

Man of the Match: Nathan Newall

Attendance: 382

Ossett United is the trading name of Ossett United Limited, a Private Limited Company guaranteed by shares. It is registered at Companies House. Company number 11162425. No shareholder has significant control.