FA Cup Penalty Heartache

FA Cup Penalty Heartache


 An FA Cup preliminary round game away to a top Northern League side is one of the last fixtures you would want at this stage of the season, and it proved to be the end of the FA Cup this season as quickly as it began.


This was a new look Ossett United side with seven debutants starting the game and an eighth, in Ben Teasdale, who made a second half appearance from the bench.

The game started well for United who kept the ball and showing a new style of play from last season that Benn and his coaches have been keen to implement this pre-season. It nearly paid dividends in the opening minutes too as after some good play Aaron Haswell released Tom Greaves, cutting into the penalty area his shot was well stopped earning United a first corner.

It was an even opening exchange with Max Dearnley been called into action on a couple of occasions making outstanding saves on both occasions. The opening goal, on 15 minutes was a thing of beauty with nearly every Ossett United player touching the ball as it was passed through the thirds.

Luke Blackburn found himself in an attacking position and fired over an excellent cross. Tom Greaves was closing in but an unfortunate touch from Consett defender Arjun Purewal sent the ball past Hayes in the home goal.

Consett continued to prod and probe but Dearnley wasn’t to be beaten when the shots came in which were few and far between as Cowgil and Viggars martialled the defence well.

As half time approached Benn would have been delighted with a one goal lead but things got better as Jack Stockdill turned home an Aaron Haswell corner to double the lead. Consett could consider themselves unfortunate to be two goals behind on the balance of play but chances have to be taken and Ossett United had done just that.

Ossett United knew at half time, even with a two goal lead the tie was not over. Consett are a strong side, and fresh off the back of an FA Vase Semi Final victory just seven days ago, came out with a head of steam at the start of the second half.

They quickly pulled a goal back from a free-kick on 51 minutes as former Ossett Albion loanee Ross Wilkinson glanced a header home. That inspired the home support to find their voice and just four minutes later they were level. Ali Alshabeeb drifting in at the far post to tap home a cross.

Ossett United regained their composure and came back into the game, with both sides having opportunities to win the game in 90 minutes. Max Dernley again pulling off a terrific stop after the ball deflected off Blackburn while at the other end another good move saw Haswell curl the ball onto the cross bar – it would have been a goal that deserved to win any game but it wasn’t to be.

With no replays in FA Competitions this season the tie was decided by the dreaded penalty kicks.

Tom Greaves kicked things off converting his penalty well, as did Guest who made it 2-1. Dearnley saved well to give United the advantage. Haswell and Harrison also scored but Consett scored their remaining kicks – including a thunderbolt from their keeper who made a save to take it into sudden death. United’s sixth penalty struck the underside of the bar meaning Holden’s successful kick saw Consett progress.


  1. Max Dearnley, 2. Luke Blackburn, 3. Cameron Clark, 4. Luke Hogg (14. Seon Ripley), 5. Jack Cowgill, 6. Harry Viggars, 7. Nash Connolly (12. Nick Guest), 8. Jack Stockdill* (16. Seon Ripley), 9. Tom Greaves, 10. Elliot Harrison, 11. Aaron Haswell | 15. Ross Hardaker, 17. Jimmy Burke.

Ossett United is the trading name of Ossett United Limited, a Private Limited Company guaranteed by shares. It is registered at Companies House. Company number 11162425. No shareholder has significant control.